Tied to the Desk - Ways to Get Exercise When you job has you sitting all day

Friday

THE DESK JOB BLUES

For the past two days I have been sitting at a computer all day.  So I have had to get a little creative when it comes to getting my body moving.  Do you have a desk job that requires you to sit for a good portion of the day?

Between Real Estate and my blogging, I find that I sit quite a bit.  I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I am getting the exercise I need.

Here are some things I have found helpful to do:

1 - Use an exercise ball and I try to sit on that for part of the day

2 - get up and move every hour - this keeps me from getting to sore and gets the circulation moving in my legs as well

3 - dumbbells - I have a set of weights at my desk and use them often - I also have a little stress ball to squeeze - helps with the sore wrists and carpal tunnel symptoms

4 - there are some exercises you can do at your desk - arm lifts, leg raises, squats, butt squeezes

5 - I try to stand and get up more often instead of sliding my office chair around - get up instead of sliding and stretching

6 - keep an exercise band at your desk and use it often

7 - get a timer or use one on your computer to set 5-10 minutes an hour to get up and move

I have read that when people use the computer, play videos games, watch TV or work at a desk without frequent total body movement the enzymes that are responsible for helping burn fat slow down.

So make a real effort to move around - in fact I am getting up now - you too - get up now and walk around for a few minutes.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

Paul April 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

Good suggestions! I, too, sit at a desk a lot.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is my personal journey to lose weight with diet and exercise - share with me the struggles and successes along the way - I look forward to your comments, suggestions and encouragements.

I would love to exchange links with other websites in the health and diet categories.

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP