Health Benefits of Red Wine - Weight loss - Heart Health

Thursday

I was intrigued when I watched a news report about the health benefits of drinking one glass of red wine daily for women and 2 glasses for men.  According to the report there are heart benefits and possible weight loss benefits.  I like to call it the "fat rat" study.  They gave fat rats red wine and the fat rats lived as long as the skinny rats with none of the health risks associated with obesity.  Some studies say that the risk of heart attack is reduced by 30 to 50%.

Now I personally do not like wine, but I have found drinking one glass manageable, and I do admit that it is growing on me.  It has to be a sweet red wine for me however and I have even tried mixing it with diet soda or Coke products.  I have found that it satisfies my sweet tooth and the need for a little something in the evening.



Studies show that the red wine consumption can raise the good HDL cholesterol and lower the bad LDL cholesterol.  Red wine has a rich source of antioxidant flavonoid phenolics including resveratrol found in the grape skins and seeds

A recent study shows a boost in brain power for women who enjoy a little alcohol. The study, published in the Jan. 20 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine, evaluated more than 12,000 women aged 70-81. Moderate drinkers scored better than teetotalers on tests of mental function. Researchers found a boost in brainpower with one drink a day.

What about weight loss - there is actually a Red Wine Diet by Roger Corder, a leading researcher with England's William Harvey Research Institute for 15 years.  His theory is for a gradual and holistic approach to diet and health with the weight loss be a side benefit, done slowly over a period of time.

So I say this fat rat has her wine each night!
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Maureen Lee March 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

Thanks for the reminder that a daily dose of wine also boosts brain function! I had forgotten about that benefit, and was very glad that dark chocolate does the same thing! Wonderful blog. :)

Lauralei March 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM  

I had recently gotten away from the red wine and was having trouble getting to sleep - wonder why we get off track - back on track and sleeping great -thanks for the dark chocolate reminder, any excuse to eat chocolate!

Samual March 12, 2010 at 3:45 AM  

I always used to weigh on a Monday, but as I've weighed today, I won't weigh this Monday coming, but I'll start posting my weight again the following Monday. I really don't like to weigh more than once a week.


Best diet pills

Matt March 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Thanks for dropping by my blog, I'll start following your from now on. I've had a hard time liking red wine too, but I like Yellow Tail Merlot pretty well and it's CHEAP!

Lauralei March 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM  

i had my red wine tonight on the rocks with some diet coke - i know, don't say it - but it helps make it go down better :)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is my personal journey to lose weight with diet and exercise - share with me the struggles and successes along the way - I look forward to your comments, suggestions and encouragements.

I would love to exchange links with other websites in the health and diet categories.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP