Why we struggle so much to lose weight

Sunday

This is my current dilemma - why am I struggling so much to lose weight?  So this blog post if directed at me - trying to come up with the answers - please chime in and HELP!

Part of the reason could be my age - 51. And yes, I have heard for years how much harder it is to lose as you age.  According to the Weight Management Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center “Your metabolism slows by 5 percent each decade."

So what is a women to do?a

   *Cut down calories slowly - no crash diets (I am aiming the finger directly at me)  crash diets slows your metabolism and you tend to gain back more fat and less muscle
   *Strength training - muscle burns more than fat
   *Switch up the exercise routine to challenge your muscles
   *Get plenty of sleep - Sleep deprivation increases the appetite-stimulating hormone, ghrelin, and decreases the satisfaction hormone, leptin, say researchers from the University of Chicago. In a study they conducted, tired volunteers craved more candy, cookies, chips, and pasta.

Adsense code – single line within post = weightloss



Doing research for this post I just read - "Weight-loss research shows that American women gain an average of 16 pounds of body weight from age 25 to age 54. Only at about age 55 does their weight decline.  Men gain an average of 10 pounds of body weight from age 25 to age 45. They too begin to lose weight at about age 55. "  Hey so I just have 4 years to wait until I start losing :)


I have noticed that the older women in the family can't seem to eat as much food and tend to lose a little weight (and height :).  There is hope yet
Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

John February 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

I found a good free source of info this week. You can listen to Jillian Michaels radio show through podcasts at http://www.kfi640.com/podcast/SUNDAY.xml Just have to enter Jill in the search box to bring all hers up.

She may give you suggestions. I know listening to her she recommends 5hrs of intense exercise a week and she usually tells women depending on the woman anywhere from 1200-1500 calories if they're trying to lose weight.

I kind of hate giving too much advice myself right now since I'm just back into the game 6 weeks now.

http://challenges2010.wordpress.com/

Lauralei February 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

thanks john - any help at all is appreciated - it is so sad that they have upped the exercise to 5 days a week - i liked the old guidelines - 3 times a week for 20 minutes - ahh the good ole days :)

Anonymous,  February 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

First off thank you on commenting on my blog.
Lots of things can be related to you not being able to lose weight. I just came to your blog today so I am not sure what you have already researched but here is my 2 cents:
how are your hormones? that alone can make it VERY difficult to lose weight. including your thyroid.
are you eating enough and frequently throughout the day?
do you do functional exercise-like walking places as well as regular exercise? I find all the little walks add to bit benefits.
do you eat whole foods and not diet foods?
are you sleeping enough?
okay obviously i could go on and on....
have a great day!

Lauralei February 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

it could very well be something related to hormones and just being plain OLD - i know i tend to sit at this computer screen too much - so i have been making an effort to get up and move in between - thanks for the help

Anonymous,  February 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

I think all you are on the right track.

No crash dieting...weight loss won't last.

Sleep...yes, if you are over tired you will be hungrier as well.

Strength training...also helps protect your bones as you get older.

Switch up the exericise...absolutely, keep your body guessing.

My next door neighbor is 60 years old and has lost 20+ lbs so far. She eats less junk, but includes a little. She exercises about 4 days per week.

It can be done. It's not easy, by any means, but possible :)

x February 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Have you had the doctor check you out lately.

Anonymous,  February 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

I do agree that the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight.

I lost 70 pounds in 1999 and kept it off for years, until I was put on insulin - I've gained 30 pounds in the past 3 years and it is much harder now that I am in my 40's.

Hang in there! :D

Lauralei February 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM  

thanks for all the comments - i have put my dumbbell by the computer so i do a few exercises while i read your posts :) every little bit helps

prashant February 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

are you eating enough and frequently throughout the day?

how to grow taller

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is my personal journey to lose weight with diet and exercise - share with me the struggles and successes along the way - I look forward to your comments, suggestions and encouragements.

I would love to exchange links with other websites in the health and diet categories.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP