Will drinking milk help with weight loss?

Sunday

Over the last couple of years we have been hearing about how drinking milk can help with weight loss.  I haven't really paid too much attention to it.  I am not a morning person at all and don't like to eat breakfast.  But I have been trying to make small changes and that is one of them.

This week I have been having a healthy cereal with milk.  I am somewhat lactose intolerant, so I had been using soy milk - that seems to effect me in the same way, so now I am back to good ole skim milk.  I am finding that I am well satisfied and less hungry throughout the day.



Here is what the experts have to say about milk:

Researchers at Purdue University in Indiana found that young, normal weight women who had 1,000mg of calcium every day – the amount of calcium found in about 1½ pints of semi-skimmed milk – lost about 6lb over two years.
 
Similar results have been found in other studies, too. Leading calcium expert, Dr Michael Zemel , analysed the diets of 32 obese adults and discovered that those people eating three servings of low-fat dairy products a day lost more than 10% of their body weight. In contrast, those taking calcium supplements or those who had little calcium or dairy in their diet lost only 8% and 6% of their body weight, respectively.

All the research suggests that calcium alone can help weight loss, but the effects seems to be more dramatic when it’s taken in the form of dairy products.

As for me - I say "drink up"!

Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

x February 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

I try to pack bang for my buck with dairy. easy snacks to go such as greek yogurt with 14 grams of protein in it and string cheese play a regular part in my packed to go meals. I also have approximately a 10 oz glass of skim milk a day. Either on cereal and in my coffee or to drink. I think its good, but not a wonder food.

Lauralei February 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

i don't think milk is a wonder food either - but the calcium can't hurt :)

Anonymous,  February 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

I find that when I drink milk in the morning that I stay fuller as well. Great post, thanks for the reminder.

The Sassy Orange February 21, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

You're the first person who has had the same issues I've had with both milk and soy milk. So glad I'm not the only one ! :D

http://fattiefatterton.wordpress.com

Lauralei February 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

i was suprised that soy and cow's milk effected me the same way - and i like cow's milk better - i still think soy might be better for me

Icecold February 22, 2010 at 1:48 AM  

Note of concern here "three servings of low-fat dairy" so be sure to use only low fat milk. Ever try drinking water in your weight loss quest, water is also known as a natural appetite suppressant. Use it to your advantage and it's cheap.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This is my personal journey to lose weight with diet and exercise - share with me the struggles and successes along the way - I look forward to your comments, suggestions and encouragements.

I would love to exchange links with other websites in the health and diet categories.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP